Thursday, January 1, 2015

My Reasons...



  Shortly after my mom died I had a co worker ask me if I would have children knowing my family history... It was the first time I really even thought of it in the sense of... should I knowingly have children knowing that I might not live a long life?....That they too may have the same fait because I passed along a gene.....It struck a chord... and I spent a while soul searching.... when I came to the realization that... I could be hit by a bus... I could be in another accident, lightning could strike me down.... and I could die young completely unrelated to anything to do with cancer... or I could live until I was 100... I could do everything in my power to try stop myself from getting cancer and still get it... I could do nothing and never get cancer... I could have a bilateral mastectomy and get bone cancer due to my increased risk from my accident... or I could never ever hear the dx. of the dreaded C word...
   The geneticist I had the privilege of dealing with where very helpful in discussing my family tree or now lack there of... I am the only female left on my mothers side of the family tree with comparable genetics.... which was pretty grim to hear... I have no one else who has my genetic markers who is female and there for had no one who was compatible to test for me ( testing in Scotland is much more easily accessed compared to here where it is not accessed unless you pay the USA to test you)...  Even my Mothers only female cousin couldn't be matched to me.... They explained that, that too was a saving grace as in...If my  Grandmother was  BRCA1 and BRCA2 positive  ( the only way for us to know would be to test her, which we cannot) she would be 100%.. my mothers risk would be 50% as she would have her dads genes and her mothers...Myself 25%.... and my daughter if I had one even less..... They also explained that due to the fact breast cancer is one of the most treatable cancers now, especially with pre testing and early diagnosis, if you know your risk factors. Knowing this I wouldn't be placing any child at an increased risk.... So I had my babies... and one of which is a beautiful little girl... knowing full well I may have passed on a cancer gene and a bad cow lick....
      Of course my children play a factor in my choice to go ahead with the bilateral mastectomy... They factor into everything I do... I want to be here to see them grow and never want to have them experience the heart ache of loosing a parent so young... I want to be at their graduations, weddings and at every milestone of my grandchildren... and because of them and so many other reasons given speaking with my doctors  have decided to go ahead with a Bilateral Mastectomy.
   With the options I was given, having yearly MRI's and checkups was a much less invasive choice and was definitely an option for me though after talking with my husband though and a lot of time to think... it wasn't what was best for me. The amount I went through this year, the stress of the MRI along with waiting and holding my breath.... It was not something I wanted to go through every year... essentially to wait for the other foot to drop. I am a worrier, and I don't do well with things I cannot control. So for me, having a year of my life being flipped upside down and reducing my risks to approximately 3% and a huge advantage in very very early detection if I was to fall into the 3%. Avoiding the yearly stress of MRI's and screening appointments. I made the conscious decision that having a bilateral mastectomy was best for me. One year of my life, to give the rest of my years to my family.
  I am confident in my decision... which doesn't mean I am not scared as hell and nervous for what this year will bring but I truly feel. This is my best chance at living a long life not worrying the dreaded C word is around every appointment..

No comments:

Post a Comment