“How are you
doing?”…. Four little words that I’ve
struggled with since my mom got sick… and for those who know me well. Those are
the words in which cause me to break and I go through periods of time where I
have to tell people… “I’m fine as long as you don’t ask me that question…..”
Those four
little words for me asked by those who I know genuinely care result in the
flood gates opening and the feeling of I’ve got it under control vanishes just
as quickly… I’ve created a system…. I can hold it together, get through the
hard stuff. Be there for everyone that needs me, pack my plate full, re rout
where my mind is and carry on as long as those words do not crop up… from those
who sincerely mean them..
When I feel I have time to talk, need to
break, take a breath and sometimes just need to let the flood gates flow.. I
pick up the phone and am lucky enough to have those in my life who by now know,
through the countless ups/downs… and sound in my voice when I need to break…
When my Mom
became sick… I of course went through all of the stages of grief…. More than
once as I knew in the beginning as a result of having a nursing background
exactly how my mom’s story was going to go… I essentially started grieving her
death a week into her diagnosis. The hardest thing I struggled with was the
superficial norm we in our culture insist on practicing… and it stems from the
question… “How are you doing?” we are trained to ask the question… It is in our
blood… When someone who’s suffered a
loss.. regardless of how well you know them you ask… if someone is sick you ask…etc.
The issue I have is, the majority of people ask, because they feel obligated… They
really don’t want to hear… “My day was awful, I’m struggling with the
realization I’m about lose my mom and am scared beyond belief.” They want to
hear “I’m good/I’m ok”… and then be told “thank you so much for asking….” I get that no one knows what to say… but when
you’re going through really hard stuff… Wasted breath to answer superficial
questions are hard, especially when they are during the most awkward times.. Like
at or during work when I’m arms deep in a patient.. During my children’s activates….
Places not meant for me to bear my soul and really tell you how I’m doing…. It’s
really easy to tell who asks sincerely and who asks out of obligation and sometimes
it’s harder to brush off then others….
This is where I’m at right now…
somewhere in between being able to answer those four little words and mostly
not….. That’s because I’m struggling…. I’m struggling with the risks associated
with what I’m doing…. The anxiety that this is all coming so quickly and I don’t
have time for anything to go wrong.. I’m struggling with the ignorance of some
people and the fact that my kids are at the other end of all of this, as it’s
something we will all be going through not just me… I’m struggling with the
fact I know it’s going to hurt and that the incisions are awful … I’m struggling
with feeling alone.. Even though my mom wasn’t a great source of support I still
really want to hear her voice tell me it’ll be ok… that even though I’ve
planned and planned and organized beyond belief.. What happens if I can’t do it
on my own.. What happens if there is a complication… I’m struggling right now
mostly because I am scared.. I’m a nurse, a surgical nurse who sees when this
surgery goes really well and really bad… I know what it’s like to have someone’s
heart stop and be on the other end of restarting it… I’m present for the
emotional roller coaster of women seeing their incisions from a mastectomy and
no matter how prepared it’s always a roller coaster… I’m scared because there
is absolutely no one who knows what I am going through…. or can fully relate…
That in between every play date, school parent council meeting, work, hockey,
swimming and helping with others schedules, demands of life and everyone else’s
plans for the future.. The struggle with all of the what if’s.. and even though
I’m determined everything will go fine and I’ve planned for everything… I’m
still struggling a bit…
I have so much to be thankful for and am so
blessed to know I’m in the best hands. I not only have great health care
professionals looking after me, but most of them are my close friends. I’ve got an
amazing husband who I know will have everything covered and taken care of, down
to shaped sandwiches and curled pigtails.. I know because he’s done it every
time.. with out question and anything in return.. I am so lucky to have him by
my side and the reason I know this too will be ok….

No comments:
Post a Comment